Friday, March 13, 2009

YG in the Dog House

YG is being investigated, along with Fantom Entertainment, for bribery and blackmail. It is suspected that YG, Fantom and other entertainment companies bribed producers to have their artists on certain variety shows.
I’m hoping this isn’t true, because I think that YG Entertainment is a pretty stand out company full of really talented people. But if it is true, it’s not going to change whether or not I buy a Big Bang album. Artists hardly ever know about the indiscretions of their bosses. In the US a couple of years ago, a lot of big name record companies were under investigation for Payola. Payola is the practice of bribing radio djs with money and merchandise to get their artists singles more radio air time. (It was confirmed that, Jessica Simpson’s singles got more airtime because of payola.) I remember hearing about it on the radio, and my mother, who was once signed to Sony, told me that payola was very prevalent in the music industry. It’s sad, but like I mentioned before in my fandom post, the entertainment industry, the music industry is an ugly machine that produces beautiful, beautiful things.
I know a lot of people will be disappointed in YG if it turns out to be true, if he did in fact bribe people or his company did. We feel like we know YG because of all of his quirky and seemingly honest letters to the fans. But ultimately, we don’t know him at all, and what is to be hidden remains hidden until it’s found. So, as much as I don’t want this to be true, I won’t be crying a river if it is.

No comments: